Thursday 7 February 2013

The "Haunted" House

7 - The "Haunted" House

"Describe a place from your past."

     I miss my childhood. How everything was just an adventure waiting to happen. I can still remember all the fun things I used to do like, play with random kids in the playground, climb the post where the basket for the basketball was (since it looked like a vertical monkey bar), ride my bicycle, get injuries from playing in the playground, play make-believe with my sisters, etc. Sigh, those were the good old days. Speaking of my sisters, I remember this one time we came across this haunted-looking abandoned (at least it seemed abandoned) house on the same street where we lived in.

     My big sister was the one who told us about it actually. It sounded creepy so she, my little sister and I decided to go check it out. We went to the house on our bikes, even if it was practically just a short walk from our place, to give it a sort of undercover spy feeling since we felt like we were on a secret mission to infiltrate the "haunted" house. When we got there, we parked our bikes in front of the gates. The house wasn't so big, it seemed like it didn't have a second floor. Also, from what I can remember, the place wasn't very neat and tidy. The driveway was covered with thick vines which almost reached the gates. The house itself looked old and rickety. The walls were white and dirty. The roof and the gates were painted green which blended with the vines and other vegetation. This is why we thought that the place might have been haunted and abandoned. Anyway, we opened one of the gates, which was only up to our shoulders, which made it easy to get in. Then we walked over the vines which covered the driveway and went over to the front door. The door wasn't locked so we were able to get in. The place was dim and everything was covered in dust. I remembered that only my big sister had a flash light. Also, the room we were in (which was probably the living room) was filled with these cardboard boxes. I opened a few but I did not find anything of particular interest. I can only remember finding a box that had dusty old feathers in it. There was also a giant broken television at the end of the room, right next to these stairs. Its screen seemed like it was gone, and it looked like something was going to come out of it if I got near it so I stayed away from that part of the room. My little sister stayed close to me since she did not want to be alone (honestly, I did not want to be alone either) but my older sister went over to the stairs, next to the broken television. She didn't go too far though, she only wanted to see what was in there. I remember asking her what she saw but I don't remember if she told me. Afterwards, we decided to leave. But before I left I decided to go around the back to see what was in there, only to find detergents and other cleaning supplies for laundry and things. This surprised me since they didn't look as old as the things we saw in the house. They looked like they have been used, but not recently. So I wondered if this house was really abandoned or not. But then, my big sister called me so I left in a hurry. It turned out that our housekeeper found us trespassing. So she scolded us. Totally worth it though. I mean, how often can you get to explore a, seemingly haunted and abandoned, house?

     It's experiences like those that make me wish I could relive my childhood because It was fun while it lasted. But I'm not going to let adulthood stop me from having those kinds of experiences again. Maybe next time I could explore an actual haunted or abandoned house and not get scolded for trespassing this time. I mean, at this point, anything can happen. So, I'm going to live through it to the fullest. If I do get to explore a haunted house, I'll try to write about it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment