Thursday 4 April 2013

Brace Yourself

14 - Brace Yourself

"What was it like to get glasses or braces?"


     Have you ever had braces? I did, back when I was in high school. I needed to get some because two of my teeth, my fangs, grew out on top of these other two which were still baby teeth apparently. So I kind of looked like a weird-looking Dracula. So my dentist pulled out the two baby teeth to give room for the other two teeth to move in, and the only way to make them move lower to their designated spots was by using braces. Now I won’t say that I enjoyed having them because it was a huge hindrance and a big pain.

     First of all, my mouth was in constant pain since the braces were pulling my teeth. Due to this, I had a difficult time eating. I could only eat soft meals, and I wasn’t allowed to eat stuff like peanuts and candies, especially bubblegum. I could handle not having peanuts but, that time, I was really into bubblegum, so that was unfortunate for me. Also, Valentine’s Day was the worst. People were giving out really awesome sweets, so I thought that it would be all right for me to have some. However, I quickly regretted eating this caramel candy because it actually removed the metal strip that was at the very end of my brace in the left cheek, I think. I knew that my dentist was not going to be happy about it, but luckily, she’s a nice lady so I didn’t really get scolded. Another thing was that I had to visit the dentist once a month, so that she could adjust my braces. So just when I finally get used to the pain, it gets even more painful after the visit. This went on for about a year. So it seemed like I couldn’t get a break. After a while though, I think I got used to it, a little bit. I mean, it would still be painful but I least I could handle it better.


     I feel like the only thing I enjoyed about having braces was that I could change the colour of the little rubber rings every month.  This one time, I had some that looked like the shape of Mickey Mouse’s head. It was cute and kind of funny. Anyway, the best thing braces did for me was fix my teeth. I know that it was very painful and troublesome but I also know that, without it, my teeth would not look as good as they do today. S I don’t regret having them. No pain, no gain, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment