Thursday 17 January 2013

That Feeling You Get On Stage

2 - That Feeling You Get On Stage

"Write about a time you performed in front of an audience."

     Remember that feeling you would get when you know that you are about to go on stage? And it makes you feel like you want to throw up or just quit at the last minute? I'm sure that it's a feeling that everyone has had to face at one point in their lives. In fact, it's what most people fear about when performing in front of an audience. Some would get so scared that they would let it consume them, forcing them to just stand there and feel like a fool. That's called "stage fright". However, there are others who are able to fight that feeling and perform as if it never bothered them. Not a lot of people can be like that but, if one is constantly being exposed to that sort of environment, then he/she will soon learn to get used to having that kind of feeling and treat it as something insignificant.

     I remember the first time that I felt "stage fright". I was in kindergarten, performing a dance on stage with my classmates. I believe that it was the first time that I was exposed to that kind of environment (being on stage in front of an audience) which is why I could not help but stand there, frozen. Honestly, it was a very horrid experience. But, for some reason, it didn't stop me from exposing myself once again to an audience. Over the years, I guess I tried to become used to it. I would still feel nervous, however, I didn't let it consume me. I would always make sure that, no matter how nervous I would get, I would try my best to perform anyway.

     One of the most memorable performances that I have ever made was when I acted in a play on stage. I had just started college when I joined the theatre organization, in Asia Pacific College, called "Teatré Phileo". And I was fortunate enough to have been given the role of Helena Adolfo, a kind school girl who died and had gone to purgatory and was the only one, out of seven others, who was sent to heaven, in the play entitled "VII" which was written by Venece Dingal. It was not easy since it was my first time to actually act as another person in a play, but I did my best nonetheless. And when the day of the play finally arrived, that nervous feeling had returned to haunt me once again. Minutes before the play was about to start, I sat in a corner behind the stage. I kept thinking to myself, saying that I shouldn't let it get to me. No matter what would happen, I must stay in character; the play must go on. And when it finally begun, I just let it all out. At that point, I made myself believe that the audience was not there and focused on my role. And miraculously, it worked! Somehow, I wasn't as nervous as I was before the play started. And after the whole thing was done, I felt so happy because I overcame that feeling. It felt like I was finally able to defeat my nemesis by doing something I never thought that I would be brave enough to do. It was an awesome moment.

     That experience really helped me a lot. I mean, sometimes I still do feel nervous when I perform or talk in front of an audience, but this time, I always remember that time when I overcame it since it reminds me that once you're out there, it will gradually disappear. And when it does, you will be able to own the stage. All you need is to believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment